Friends of Fiji Health (NZ) Inc. [FOFH] is a New Zealand registered charity organisation that was established in July 2010. Its primary purpose is to form teams of specialists to travel to Fiji and provide medical treatment for the neediest from time to time. New Zealand based volunteers’ staff its missions and it is resourced by voluntary contributions in money or in kind. It focuses both on early clinical intervention and surgical procedures.
The first “reaching out” project was the result of a scoping exercise, assembling a clinical team, developing appropriate systems and completing the mission. This document traces the process of the first mission and lists its achievements.
The first step was to scope the mission on the basis of accurate information from local informants and health professionals.
A scoping team went to Fiji to solicit the views of the various Ministry of Health medical experts in the Western Division of Fiji. Since the Fiji Health authorities had determined the first focus should be away from Suva, the team visited Rakiraki, Tavua, Ba, Lautoka, Nadi and Sigatoka.
The scoping team made the following recommendations which were accepted by the Board of Friends of Fiji Health: A surgical team to be based at Lautoka Hospital where there was an urgent need for Obstetrics and Gynaecology expertise. This was the result of a good fit between a well identified need and the immediate availability of specialists in this area in New Zealand.
A team of Specialist Physicians and nurses was required to conduct clinics for early detection and preventative medicine. This addressed the value Friends of Fiji Health wants to place on early intervention and effective identification and treatment at the point of first contact. A Specialist Physician to provide respite and teaching duties at Lautoka Hospital. This was a sensible arrangement to enable local physicians to take advantage of the mission’s visit and to work with them. November 26, 2010 was set as the mission commencement date.
Our Mission Statement
To establish a volunteer medical team of specialist doctors, nurses, therapists, psychologists, dentists, optometrists, anesthetists, and without limiting to any other or all types of healthcare, medical and surgical fields to travel to Fiji from time to time to provide free healthcare, medical and surgical, complementary and/or supplementary services within the existing framework at any Fiji public based hospital to the needy citizens of Fiji.
We are dedicated to providing our service with unrelenting attention to clinical excellence, patient safety and an unparalleled passion and commitment to assure the very best healthcare for those we serve.
Dignity: we recognize every life as a gift of God; therefore each individual is inherently valued by our team.
- Safety: by paying close attention to procedural and operational systems, and by adhering to policies and procedures, the health professionals will aim to mitigate and prevent errors.
- Integrity: we conduct our business ethically with the highest degree of honesty and integrity while maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Trust: we conduct honest and open communication with patients and amongst our Team.
- Respect: we create an environment conducive to healing and supportive of the patient's right to comfort, privacy, serenity and cleanliness.
- Impartiality: we provide the service regardless of Age, Race, Religion or Gender.
- Cost: as a charitable organisation, we provide all services free of any cost to the recipient.